Meeting documents

Oxfordshire Waste Partnership Joint Committee (meeting with the Oxfordshire Environment Partnership)
Friday, 24 October 2008

 

Return to Agenda

 

OXFORDSHIRE WASTE PARTNERSHIP JOINT COMMITTEE

 

Friday 11th July 2008

 

 

Present: The Chair (Councillor John Tanner, Oxford City Council), the Vice Chair (Councillor Roger Belson, Oxfordshire County Council), Councillors David Dodds (South Oxfordshire District Council) Jenny Hannaby (Vale of White Horse District Council), David Harvey (West Oxfordshire District Council) and George Reynolds (Cherwell District Council).

 

Officers Present: Wayne Lewis (Oxfordshire Waste Partnership Co-ordinator), Colin Bailey (Oxford City Council), Carolyn Baxter (Oxfordshire County Council), Steve Bishop (Vale of White Horse District Council), Ian Davies (Cherwell District Council), Peter Denchfield (Oxford City Council), Cath James (West Oxfordshire District Council) Paul Mocroft (Communications Officer, Oxfordshire Waste Partnership), Andrew Pau (Oxfordshire County Council), Stephen Penney (West Oxfordshire District Council), Ed Potter (Cherwell District Council), Matt Prosser (South Oxfordshire District Council) and Sally Wilson (South Oxfordshire District Council).

 

William Reed (Clerk to the Committee, Oxford City Council)

 

 

 

ACTION

1.         ELECTION OF CHAIR FOR THE COUNCIL YEAR 2008/09

 

            Councillor John Tanner (Oxford City Council) was elected Chair of the Joint Committee for the Council Year 2008/09 in accordance with Schedule 1 to the OWP Agreement.

 

 

 

2.         ELECTION OF VICE CHAIR FOR THE COUNCIL YEAR 2008/09

 

            Councillor Roger Belson (Oxfordshire County Council) was elected Vice Chair of the Joint Committee for the Council Year 2008/09 in accordance with Schedule 1 to the OWP Agreement.

 

 


 

 

3.         RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE JOINT COMMITTEE

 

            The Committee noted the contents of a note (previously circulated, now appended) setting out the responsibilities of the Committee.

 

 

 

4.         ROLE OF COMMITTEE MEMBERS

 

            The Committee noted the contents of a note (previously circulated, now appended) setting out the role of members of the Committee.

 

 

 

5.         DATES OF MEETINGS – 2008/09 – 2009/10

 

            The Committee agreed the following dates for meetings of the Committee, all to be held in the Town Hall, Oxford commencing at 9.30am:-

 

                        Friday 24th October 2008

                        Friday 16th January 2009

                        Friday 27th March 2009

                        Friday 10th July 2009

                        Friday 23rd October 2009

                        Friday 15th January 2010

                        Friday 26th March 2010

 

 

 

William Reed

 

6.         MINUTES

 

(a)       The Committee confirmed as a correct record the minutes of its meeting held on 29th February 2008 subject in the fifth paragraph of minute 258 (FOOD WASTE TREATMENT CONTRACT UPDATE) and the resolution,  rewording to show that the development of agreements between the waste collection authorities and the County Council to cover waste collection authorities’ commitment to collect and deliver food and garden waste under the contract was to be brought back to the Joint Committee before being finalised.

 

(b)               With reference both to minute 254 (NEW   FINANCIAL ARRANGMENTS) and minute 258 (FOOD WASTE TREATMENT CONTRACT UPDATE), the Committee agreed that as there was a variety of views and some lack of clarity over delivery points and excess mileage charge payments for residual waste collection, the matter would be discussed at the next meeting of the Committee.

 

          (c)       With further reference to minute 254 Councillor Harvey (West Oxfordshire District Council) said that his Council had considered the new financial arrangements at a May meeting of the Cabinet.  Whilst it had approved the revised arrangements it sought an acknowledgement from the OWP that these did not constitute the full financial burden on any individual district council and were subject to satisfactory resolution of the matters referred to in (b) above.  In addition his Council had endorsed the document subject to conditions being met that related to a common basis for providing information on housing stock numbers (so that waste collection authority targets were calculated on a like for like basis); and to payments to each waste collection authority being based on performance against target in that year.

 

                     The Committee noted the position.

 

 

 

Wayne Lewis

 

Andrew Pau

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wayne Lewis

 

Andrew Pau

 

7.         APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND DEPUTY MEMBER ATTENDANCE

 

            There were no apologies for absence.

 

 

 

8.         DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

 

            There were no declarations of interests by members attending the Committee.

 

 


 

 

9.         ANNUAL REPORT 2007/08

 

            The Committee considered the annual report for 2007/08 on OWP performance and a covering report from the OWP Co-ordinator.

 

            The Committee resolved:-

 

(1)       To receive the annual report and refer it to the Leaders’ Group and to the Chief Executives’ Group (paragraph 2.2 of the officer report refers);

 

(2)       To agree the financial summary (statement of accounts) for 2007/08 contained in the annual report;

 

(3)       That the underspend in 2007/08 totalling £81,438 be used as follows:-

 

·        £41,206 for LAA pump priming;

·          £19,665 for the Recycle for Oxfordshire campaign and future communications activity;

·          £20,567 to be placed in reserve.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wayne Lewis

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wayne Lewis

 

10.       LOCAL AREA AGREEMENT

 

            The Committee considered a report prepared by the OWP Co-ordinator.  In response to a question, Wayne Lewis said it was his understanding that the Government had agreed both the litter and the detritus targets but an achievement award applied only to the litter target.

 

            The Committee:-

 

            (1)       Noted the report;

 

(2)       Decided to look again in 6 months time at whether to retain the detritus target.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wayne Lewis


 

 

11.       PROCUREMENT UPDATES

 

            (a)       Food and Garden Waste Treatment

 

Andrew Pau (Oxfordshire County Council) submitted a report.

 

Considerable discussion took place about the continued lack of certainty or clarity about timescales generally for the project and about the length of time interim arrangements might need to apply.

 

The Committee resolved:-

 

(1)       To ask County officers to progress matters to certainty stage as soon as possible;

 

(2)       To note that all members of the OWP would be advised by County officers of the outcome of officer discussions concerning the preferred bidder by the end of July;

 

(3)       To agree that a special meeting of the Committee would be held on the matter if necessary.

 

            (b)       Waste Collection Joint Procurement

 

The Committee received and noted a report (previously circulated, now appended) prepared by Michael Mackay (Vale of White Horse District Council).

           

            (c)        Residual Waste Treatments

 

The Committee considered a report prepared by Andrew Pau (Oxfordshire County Council).

 

The Committee:-

 

(1)       Noted the contents of the report;

 

(2)       Recorded that for future project update reports there should be greater clarity and certainty on target dates contained within them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Andrew Pau

 

 

Andrew Pau

 

 

 

 

William Reed

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Andrew Pau

 

All report authors

 

12.       MONITORING PROGRESS

 

            The Committee considered a report (previously circulated, now appended) prepared by the OWP Co-ordinator.

 

            The Committee:-

 

            (1)       Received the report;

 

(2)       Agreed to revised start dates for an event and a campaign as follows:-

 

·          Anti litter campaign – start date September 2008 to coincide with a national anti litter event being organised by ENCAMS;

 

·          Fly tipping reduction campaign – start date April 2009 to coincide and form part of the LAA2 action plan;

 

(3)       To ask the OWP Co-ordinator to circulate to OWP members District, County and other agencies contact details for litter complaints.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wayne Lewis

 

13.       INTERNAL AUDIT REPORT 2007/08

 

            The OWP Co-ordinator submitted a report (previously circulated, now appended).

 

            The Committee resolved to:-

 

(1)       Receive the audit recommendations (paragraph 2.2 of the report) and the management response (paragraph 2.3 of the report);

 

(2)       To re-appoint the Vale of White Horse District Council as audit authority for 2008/09;

 

(3)       To ask the OWP Co-ordinator to discuss with colleagues the establishment of a separate bank account for OWP transactions.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wayne Lewis

 

14.       GOVERNMENT CONSULTATION – JOINT WASTE AUTHORITIES

 

The Committee decided, upon consideration of a report (previously circulated, now appended) of the OWP Co-ordinator not to submit an expression of interest to form a Joint Waste Authority.

 

 

 

Wayne Lewis

 

 

15.       OXCLEAN

 

            The Committee considered a paper (previously circulated, now appended) from Colin Bailey (Oxford City Council).

 

            The Committee:-

 

            (1)       Noted the contents of the report;

 

(2)       Noted that the City Council would run the Oxclean initiative again on 6-7th March 2009;

 

(3)       Noted the interests of other partner authorities.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Colin Bailey

 

 

16.       RADLEY LAKES

 

            The Secretary to the Joint Committee submitted a report (previously circulated, now appended).

 

            The Committee resolved to take no action on the report.

 

 

 

 

 

 

William Reed

 

17.       DATE OF NEXT MEETING

 

            The Committee noted that it would next meet at 9.30am on Friday 24th October 2008 in the Town Hall, Oxford.

 

 

18.       “WILD WASTE SHOW” ANNUAL REPORT AND PRESENTATION

 

The Committee agreed to defer the paper and presentation to its next meeting.

 

 

 

William Reed

 

Wayne Lewis

 

The meeting commenced at 9.30 am and closed at 10.50 am.

 

Return to TOP