Meeting documents

Oxfordshire Waste Partnership Joint Committee (meeting with the Oxfordshire Environment Partnership)
Friday, 30 November 2007

 

 

h Chairman: Councillor Kieron Mallon

 

Bodicote House

Bodicote

BANBURY

Oxfordshire

OX15 4AA

Telephone       (01295) 252535

 

Textphone      (01295) 221572

(Minicom)

 

Fax (01295) 270028

DX 24224 (Banbury)

S Secretary: Mary Harpley (Chief Executive)

                         

                                   

Oxfordshire Waste Partnership

Joint Committee

 

NOTICE OF MEETING

MEETING      

Oxfordshire Waste Partnership Joint Committee

 

DATE/TIME

Friday 30 November 2007 at 9.30am.

 

PLACE

Committee Rooms 163/164 in the Civic Suite at Cherwell District Council Offices. Bodicote House.

 

CONTACT OFFICER

Steve Lodge (Tel: 01295 221590 E-mail: steve.lodge@cherwell-dc.gov.uk)

 

 

                                                                                                                      

Mary Harpley (Chief Executive)

21 November 2007

 

Membership

 

Councillors:

Representing:

 

 

Kieron Mallon

(deputy: Barry Wood)

 

Cherwell District Council

 

Jean Fooks

(deputy: John Goddard)

 

Oxford City Council

 

Roger Belson

(deputy: David Robertson)

 

Oxfordshire County Council

 

David Dodds

(deputy: Any Cabinet Member)

 

South Oxfordshire District Council

 

Tony De Vere

(deputy: Jenny Hannaby)

 

Vale of White Horse District Council

 

David Harvey

(deputy: Barry Norton or Verena Hunt)

West Oxfordshire District Council

 

 

NOTES

 



 

Access to Information

The minutes and reports included in Part I of this agenda are published on-line on Cherwell District Council’s website at: http://www.cherwell-dc.gov.uk/yourcouncil/meetings.cfm

Enquiries about specific reports: please contact the officers named in the reports.

These documents can be made available in alternative formats and different languages on request.  For further information about this service please contact the Communications Team, 01295 221578.

The timing given against each agenda item is an estimate of the approximate time that the Committee will commence consideration of that item.  It is for indicative purposes only, and will change in the event that the running order of the items is revised.

 

If you are planning to attend the meeting directions to Bodicote House can be found on our Website at http://www.cherwell-dc.gov.uk/files/publicationscheme/3011-425.pdf

 

 

 

Guidance for Members

Members are asked to contact Steve Lodge, Democratic Services Officer, 01295 221590, (mailto:steve.lodge@cherwell-dc.gov.uk) to tender apologies or advise of attendance by their named Deputy Members.

Members are reminded that Part II reports contain exempt information and should therefore be treated accordingly.  They should not be disclosed or passed on to any other person(s). 

Members are reminded of the requirements of Section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act, 1992, and those Members affected by its provisions will need to make a declaration and refrain from voting when a matter to which the Act applies is discussed.  An indication is given in the “Financial Effects” statements of those matters where the Act is likely to apply.

Members are asked to sign the Attendance Register.

Members are required to consider the implications of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 and the Human Rights Act 1998 when exercising their functions.

 

Declarations of Interests

Members are asked to declare any personal interest and the nature of that interest which they may have in any of the items under consideration at this meeting.

i)         any Member arriving after the start of the meeting is asked to declare interests as necessary as soon as practicable after their arrival even if the item in question has been considered;

ii)       with the exception of the circumstances listed in paragraph 10(2) of the model Code of Conduct for Members, a Member with a personal interest also has a prejudicial interest if it is one which a Member of the public with knowledge of the relevant facts would reasonably regard as so significant that it is likely to prejudice the Member’s judgement of the public interest.

iii)       Officers cannot offer advice during the meeting on whether or not a personal interest should be declared, or whether a personal interest should also be regarded as prejudicial.

 

Car Parking

Please also note there is limited car parking at Bodicote House.  Please car share where possible.  Arrangements have been made to provide some overspill parking at the Bodicote Cricket Club, so please try there first.  The access is between the mini-roundabout and Bodicote House, opposite the primary school.  The Club has however instructed that under no circumstances should vehicles park on the grass verges on the drive leading up to the Clubhouse.


AGENDA

 

PART I

 

Timed Timed for:

 

 

 

 

1

MINUTES

 

To confirm as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting of the Joint Committee held on 28 September 2007 (download as .doc file).

 

 

 

2

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND NOTIFICATION OF DEPUTY MEMBERS

 

The Secretary to report on apologies for absence and on the attendance by Deputy Members notified to him before the start of the meeting.

 

(Contact Steve Lodge (01295 221590) to tender apologies and advise of attendance by the named Deputy Member).

 

 

 

3

ADDITIONAL ITEMS

 

The Chairman to advise whether any item of an urgent nature has been admitted to the agenda.

 

 

 

4

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

 

Members are asked to declare any personal interest and the nature of that interest which they may have in any of the items under consideration at this meeting.  (Please refer to the notes on the opposite page).

 

(Note: unless otherwise stated all of the under-mentioned agenda items have attachments which can be found at the end of Part I of this Agenda.)

 

 

9.35 a 9.35

5

NEW FINANCIAL ARRANGEMENTS (download as .doc file)

 

Purpose of report

 

To present the results of the latest work undertaken to develop new financial arrangements for the OWP.

 

Recommendations

 

That OWP agrees the revised approach set out herein and that the following tasks be completed with a view to reaching a final agreement on the new financial arrangements at the next meeting of the partnership in February 2008:

  • Finalising the unit payment levels for both the recycling credit and residual waste target payments, so that residual waste reduction is prioritised over increased recycling & composting;
  • Full checks by each of the Partner Authorities on the financial costs for them;
  • Revisiting the tonnage forecasts provided by each WCA to ensure consistency and to assess scope for further progress towards our JMWMS targets;
  • Model verification by the Oxfordshire Treasurers Association;
  • Agreeing any short term transitional arrangements (to be developed by the OTA), if needed,  to phase in the  financial impacts resulting from the new arrangements

 

10.05 10.05

aam

6

DRAFT BUDGET 2008/09 (download as .doc file)

 

Purpose of report

 

To provide further information on the draft OWP budget for 2008/09.

 

Recommendations

 

It is recommended that:

         I.      The draft budget for 2008/09 at appendix 3 be approved;

       II.      Partner Authorities agree to passport the 2008/09 WPEG funding to the OWP, so that the existing funding arrangements are maintained and to ensure that OWP priorities continue to be met;

      III.      Further information is sought from DEFRA on the formal WPEG allocations for 2008/09 and on allocations for future years.

 

10.20 10.20

7

NEW INITIATIVES FUND APPLICATIONS (download as .doc file)

 

Purpose of report

 

To provide further information on the New Initiatives Fund (NIF).

 

Recommendations

 

(1)          That the bid by Vale of White horse District Council to the NIF for the purchase of Hessian sacks be supported subject to further information on anticipated recycling performance being provided.

 

(2)          That the other four bids are not supported.

 

10.35 10.35

8

DRAFT SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES STRATEGY CONSULTATION (download as .doc file)

(8a - download as .doc file)

 

Purpose of report

 

To consider the Sustainable Communities Strategy consultation document prepared by the Oxfordshire Partnership.

 

Recommendations

 

That the OWP coordinator feeds back any suggested amendments and/or additions raised by the committee.

 

10.45 10.45

9        

LOCAL AREA AGREEMENT (download as .doc file)

 

Purpose of report

 

To consider and approve the suggested targets for inclusion within Local Area Agreement 2.

 

Recommendations

 

It is recommended that:

  1. OWP approves the outlined targets for submission to the PSB;
  2. OWP delegates authority to Chairman of the Officer Strategy Group, in consultation with the Chairman of the OWP, to draft the detail of the targets and negotiate with the Public Service Board on behalf of the partnership;
  3. An update report is presented to OWP when further details become available.

 

11.00 11.00

10    

JOINT MUNICIPAL WASTE MANAGEMENT STRATEGY ACTION PLANS (download as .doc file)

 

(10a - download as .xls file)

(10b - download as .xls file)

 

 

Purpose of report

 

To report progress on the implementation of the 2007/08 Joint Municipal Waste Management Strategy (JMWMS) action plans.

 

Recommendations

 

That the progress report is noted and that an outturn report is provided to the May 2008 meeting of the committee.

 

11.15 11.15

11    

DEFINITION OF HOUSEHOLD WASTE (CHARITIES AND SCHOOL WASTE) (download as .doc file)

 

Purpose of report

 

To develop a response to the recent correspondence from Defra on the interpretation of legislation relating to the collection and disposal of household waste from charities, schools and a number of other institutions.

 

Recommendations

 

It is recommended that:

 

(i)             The Officer Strategy Group develops a position statement outlining that OWP plans to seek further clarification from Defra and in the meantime each authority’s current arrangements will remain in place;

 

(ii)           OWP write to Defra, asking for clarification and supporting the arguments and concerns that have already been put forward by NAWDO and the LGA;

 

(iii)          A review is carried out by the Operations Group on the policies & practices in place for each of the authorities in Oxfordshire in relation to how they currently deal with the collection of waste from educational establishments and hospitals, schools, charity shops and any other premises mentioned within the Defra correspondence, and the charging mechanisms linked to these collection and disposal services;

 

(iv)         On completion of iii. the Operations Group assesses the potential cost implications of addressing any differences that exist between Defra’s interpretation of the EPA and CWR and that of the OWP partner councils;

 

(v)           That a further update report be prepared for the committee in due course.

 

 

11.30 11.30

12    

BREW BID (download as .doc file)

 

Purpose of report

 

To consider and approve in principle the submission of an OWP bid for Business Resource Efficiency and Work (BREW) programme funding.

 

Recommendations

 

It is recommended that:

i.          OWP approves the principle of submitting a partnership bid;

ii.          OWP delegates authority to the Officer Strategy Group to finalise the detail             of the bid;

iii.         the finalised bid be approved by the OWP chairman ahead of submission.

 

11.40 11.40

13    

WASTE COLLECTION JOINT PROCUREMENT PROJECT (download as .doc file)

 

Purpose of report

 

To provide an update on the progress of the Joint Procurement Project.

 

Recommendations

 

That OWP delegates to the OWP Coordinator responsibility for the creation of a project team and project plan to review and recommend to OWP the future options for client management.  The team, plan and terms of reference to be in place by 31 Jan 2008.

 

11.50 11.50

14    

WASTE TREATMENT PROJECT UPDATE (download as .doc file)

 

Purpose of report

 

To update the OWP on progress on the residual waste and food waste treatment procurement projects.

 

Recommendations

 

To note and support the progress made on the procurement of both residual and food waste treatment.

 

 

15    

ANY OTHER ITEM WHICH THE CHAIRMAN HAS DECIDED IS URGENT

 

(NO ATTACHMENTS).

 

 

 

 

MEETING SCHEDULED TO END AT 12.00 noon.

 

Return to TOP