Agenda, decisions and minutes

Venue: County Hall, New Road, Oxford

Contact: Graham Warrington  Tel: 07393 001211; E-Mail:  graham.warrington@oxfordshire.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

63/18

Questions from County Councillors

Any county councillor may, by giving notice to the Proper Officer by 9 am two working days before the meeting, ask a question on any matter in respect of the Cabinet Member’s delegated powers.

 

The number of questions which may be asked by any councillor at any one meeting is limited to two (or one question with notice and a supplementary question at the meeting) and the time for questions will be limited to 30 minutes in total. As with questions at Council, any questions which remain unanswered at the end of this item will receive a written response.

 

Questions submitted prior to the agenda being despatched are shown below and will be the subject of a response from the appropriate Cabinet Member or such other councillor or officer as is determined by the Cabinet Member, and shall not be the subject of further debate at this meeting. Questions received after the despatch of the agenda, but before the deadline, will be shown on the Schedule of Addenda circulated at the meeting, together with any written response which is available at that time.

 

Minutes:

Councillor John Howson

 

“There are currently seven schools educating children of secondary school age within my Division. They may be joined, at least temporarily, by an eighth in September 2019. In total these schools educate more than 4,500 young people. The Marston Ferry Road is an important part of the daily journeys of many pupils. 

 

Will the Cabinet member ask officers to undertake a full review of current arrangements between the Banbury Road junction and the river Cherwell bridge to ensure that all possible safety measures are in place. Specifically, there is a VAR sign on the west bound carriageway; could officers be asked to advise on installing such a VAR sign on the east bound carriageway, especially if the Swan School opens in temporary premises in 2019 off the eastern end of the Marston Ferry Road.”

 

Reply from the Cabinet Member for Environment

 

With the development of the Swan School and associated activity officers will continue to monitor the impact of traffic movements on the Marston Ferry road and instruct further survey work as required. 

 

In addition, the recent announcement of the Growth Deal funding includes consideration of the approach to Banbury Road from Marston Ferry Road as part of a wider policy objective to make travel more accessible, safer and convenient for pedestrian, cycle and public transport users. The scheme is required to be delivered by March 2023.

 

With regard to the installation of a new Vehicle Activated Sign [VAS], we don’t currently have a budget for installing or maintaining these signs, however if funding were made available from other sources e.g. through a community initiative or developer contribution we could consider it further if it met the criteria to justify installation. 

 

DfT guidance indicates that VAS should be considered only: -

 

·                                 where there is a collision problem at the site

·                                 and the collisions are associated with inappropriate speeds

At present based on those criteria there is no justification for installing a sign on the east bound carriageway of the Marston Ferry road.  The VAS installed on the west carriageway was installed several years ago [2005] as a trial site with what was then a new type of sign.  It was not subject to the same criteria applied today.

 

There are additional criteria which are considered in Oxfordshire but they don’t currently apply on this road.

 

Traffic flows and speed will remain under review during and after the development of the new school.”

 

Supplementary by Councillor Howson

 

“There are currently 2 VAS in my division on Kingston Road one of which at the northern end is of great value whereas the other at the southern end where traffic is already slowing down less so.  Would it be feasible to consider re-siting that sign?”

 

Reply by the Cabinet Member for Environment

 

“Officers will investigate the possibility of relocating that sign.”

 

Councillor Roz Smith

 

“At the 16 October Cabinet meeting I asked questions about the non-residential parking permits issued and the monitoring of them. Unfortunately, I don’t  ...  view the full minutes text for item 63/18

64/18

Petitions and Public Address

Minutes:

 

 

Speaker

 

Item

 

 

County Councillor Liz Brighouse

 

 

4. Oxford: Wood farm Area – Proposed Controlled parking Zone

 

 

James Kitcher-Jones (Chipping Norton Town Council)

 

 

5. Chipping Norton – Proposed 20mph Speed Limit

 

 

65/18

Oxford: Wood Farm Area - Proposed Controlled Parking Zone pdf icon PDF 3 MB

Forward Plan Ref: 2018/087

Contact: Hugh Potter, Team Leader – Area Operations Hub Tel: 07766 998704

 

Report by Director for Operations (CMDE4).

 

The report presents responses received to a statutory consultation to introduce a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) in the Wood Farm area of Oxford.  The proposal will be funded from developer contributions.

 

The Cabinet Member for the Environment is RECOMMENDED to approve proposals to introduce a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) in the Wood Farm area of Oxford as advertised.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minutes:

The Cabinet Member for Environment considered (CMDE4) responses received to a statutory consultation to introduce a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) in the Wood Farm area of Oxford to be funded from developer contributions.

 

Councillor Liz Brighouse spoke in support of the proposal. Parking was a huge issue locally particularly commuter parking and there was an evident need for something to be done which would be welcomed by the majority of residents even though some would find the charge difficult to manage as there was a lot of depravation in the area.  That support had been demonstrated by the  level of responses to the informal consultation and she suspected that having responded to the informal consultation many responders had possibly assumed that the scheme would go ahead and had not then responded to the formal consultation and felt the link between the two exercises need to be strengthened. Displacement parking and enforcement was still an issue in Lye Valley with some vehicles left for up to 3 or 4 days.  She understood that with regard to unadopted roads the City Council had indicated these would be dealt with in conjunction with the county council finalising CPZs. She raised the issue of Wood farm school and understood that officers were working with the school regarding their parking issues,

 

Mr Kirkwood confirmed that the city council were providing fencing to help address the issue of vehicles parking on grassed areas raised by a number of responders.

 

The Cabinet Member for Environment acknowledged the need for the scheme and the fact that some residents might find the charge difficult and suggested perhaps quarterly or monthly payments might help. Regarding the issue of staff parking at Wood Farm school it was not the intention to encourage people to drive in and then get preferential treatment to park and it was for the school to ensure it used the space available as efficiently as possible through a school transport plan.  This was a priority 1 scheme which she hoped would be implemented soon. Therefore, having regard to the information set out in the report before her and the representations made to her at the meeting she confirmed her decision as follows:

 

to approve proposals to introduce a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) in the Wood Farm area of Oxford as advertised.

 

 

Signed…………………………………

Cabinet Member for Environment

 

Date of signing………………………..

 

66/18

Chipping Norton - Proposed 20mph Speed Limit pdf icon PDF 1 MB

Forward Plan Ref: 2018/065

Contact: Hugh Potter, Team Leader – Area Operations Hub Tel: 07766 998704

 

Report by Director for Operations (CMDE5).

 

The report presents responses received to a statutory consultation to introduce a 20mph speed limit in place of the existing 30mph limit in Chipping Norton town centre put forward by Chipping Norton Town Council who are funding the proposals in response to concerns over road safety and the wider adverse impact of traffic on residents.

 

The Cabinet Member for the Environment is RECOMMENDED to approve proposals to introduce a 20mph speed limit in place of the existing 30mph limit in Chipping Norton town centre as advertised.

 

 

 

 

 

Minutes:

The Cabinet Member for Environment considered (CMDE5) responses received to a statutory consultation to introduce a 20mph speed limit in place of the existing 30mph limit in Chipping Norton town centre put forward by Chipping Norton Town Council who were also funding the proposals in response to concerns over road safety and the wider adverse impact of traffic on residents.

 

James Kitcher-Jones spoke on behalf of Chipping Norton Town Council who  saw the scheme to slow down traffic as being of paramount importance in addressing pressures in the town arising from the number of narrow pavements. That pressure could only increase as a result of the projected increase in housing. Slowing down traffic would also improve driver reaction time and in addition to safety benefits the Town Council also saw a number of economic benefits which could result from the scheme.

 

The Cabinet Member noted the support of County Councillor Hilary Hibbert-Biles and her intention to sponsor 20 mph flashing signs outside schools and that officers were working with her to prepare a detailed estimate for that provision.

 

Mr Kirkwood referred to 5 late responses to the consultation all in support and

confirmed that if finance became available then the scheme could potentially be extended.  With regard to the concerns lodged by Thames Valley police regarding a 20 limit on a strategic road the stretch of the A44 in question was subject to modest flows and the proposal complied with Department for transport policy. 

 

Regarding the comment from West Oxfordshire concerning air quality it was not considered that the proposed scheme would prejudice present levels which could be managed within current limits.

 

Having regard to the information set out in the report before her together with the representations made to her at the meeting including the response from officers to the objection from Thames Valley police and the comment from West Oxfordshire District Council regarding air quality the Cabinet Member for Environment confirmed her decision as follows:

 

to approve proposals to introduce a 20mph speed limit in place of the existing 30mph limit in Chipping Norton town centre as advertised.

 

 

Signed…………………………………

Cabinet Member for Environment

 

Date of signing……………………….

67/18

Aston Tirrold and Upthorpe: Proposed 20mph & 50mph Speed Limit pdf icon PDF 862 KB

Forward Plan Ref: 2018/165

Contact: Hugh Potter, Team Leader – Area Operations Hub Tel: 07766 998704

 

Report by Director for Operations (CMDE6).

 

The report presents responses received to a statutory consultation to introduce a 20mph speed limit in place of the existing 30mph limit in the village of Aston Tirrold and Upthorpe and replace two short lengths of unrestricted (60mph) road leading out of the village with a 50mph speed limit.  The proposals are being promoted and funded by the Aston Tirrold and Upthorpe Parish Council in response to concerns over road safety and the wider adverse impact of traffic on residents.

 

The Cabinet Member for the Environment is RECOMMENDED to approve proposals to introduce a 20mph speed limit in place of the existing 30mph limit in the village of Aston Tirrold and Upthorpe and replace two short lengths of unrestricted (60mph) road leading out of the village with a 50mph speed limitas advertised.

 

 

 

 

Minutes:

The Cabinet Member for Environment considered (CMDE6) responses received to a statutory consultation to introduce a 20mph speed limit in place of the existing 30mph limit in the village of Aston Tirrold and Upthorpe and replace two short lengths of unrestricted (60mph) road leading out of the village with a 50mph speed limit.  The proposals were being promoted and funded by the Aston Tirrold and Upthorpe Parish Council in response to concerns over road safety and the wider adverse impact of traffic on residents.

 

The Cabinet Member noted the support of Councillor Simon Clarke the local member for reduced speed limits in Aston Tirrold and Upthorpe.  He stated that currently, traffic approaching the village from the South on the A417, was limited to 50 mph and was then briefly unrestricted (60 mph) on both Chalk Hill and Spring Lane, before being slowed to 30 mph in the village itself.  It should be noted that Spring Lane was particularly narrow, with barely enough room in places for two average sized cars to pass each other easily.  This incongruity needs to be rectified by reducing the speed limit on these roads to at least 50 mph.  Aston Tirrold and Upthorpe consisted of tight, winding rural lanes and blind bends, the village was relatively poorly lit, lacked footpaths, but its roads had plenty of parked cars, making them apt for a 20mph speed limit. It was also worth noting that residents had reported increased volumes of traffic using the area as a short cut to access Didcot and Wallingford.

 

Having regard to the information set out in the report before her and the representations from the local member the Cabinet Member for Environment confirmed her decision as follows:

 

to approve proposals to introduce a 20mph speed limit in place of the existing 30mph limit in the village of Aston Tirrold and Upthorpe and replace two short lengths of unrestricted (60mph) road leading out of the village with a 50mph speed limit as advertised.

 

 

Signed…………………………………

Cabinet Member for Environment

 

Date of signing………………………

68/18

East Hanney - Proposed 30mph Speed Limit pdf icon PDF 1021 KB

Forward Plan Ref: 2018/147

Contact: Hugh Potter, Team Leader – Area Operations Hub Tel: 07766 998704

 

Report by Director for Infrastructure Operations (CMDE7).

 

The report presents responses received to a statutory consultation to introduce a 30mph speed limit in place of the existing 50mph limit on the Steventon Road at East Hanney.  The proposals have been put forward as a result of a residential development on the north side of the Steventon Road and are being funded by that development.

 

The Cabinet Member for the Environment is RECOMMENDED to approve proposals to introduce a 30mph speed limit in place of the existing 50mph limit on the Steventon Road at East Hanney as advertised.

Minutes:

The Cabinet Member for Environment considered (CMDE7) responses received to a statutory consultation to introduce a 30mph speed limit in place of the existing 50mph limit on the Steventon Road at East Hanney put forward as a result of a residential development on the north side of the Steventon Road and funded by that development.

 

Noting the support of the local member Councillor Anda Fitzgerald-O’Connor and the comments of officers regarding the objection from Thames Valley Police that some supporting measures would be investigated and the desire to be consistent with other limits the Cabinet Member, having regard to the information set out in the report before and the representations made to her at the meeting confirmed her decision as follows:

 

to approve proposals to introduce a 30mph speed limit in place of the existing 50mph limit on the Steventon Road at East Hanney as advertised.

 

 

Signed…………………………………..

Cabinet Member for Environment

 

Date of signing………………………….

 

 

Approved

69/18

Application of Highway Policy Review - Phase 1 pdf icon PDF 317 KB

Forward Plan Ref: 2018/036

Contact: Rikke Hansen, Service Manager – Highways, Transport & Waste Tel: 07554 103536

 

Report by Director for Infrastructure Operations (CMDE8).

 

This paper has been produced to seek approval for a number of policy statements that have been produced to meet the requirements of the Highways Code of Practice (October 2018). It follows the papers (Review of Highways policies) presented to cabinet in November 2017 which outlined the development of a new highways management framework and it was agreed that sign off of updated policies and procedures would be via reports to the Cabinet Member Delegated decisions meetings or by the relevant Directo dependent on the level of service charge.  As this is the first round of policy updates it was agreed that these should be taken to the Cabinet Member for Environment Delegated Decisions meeting irrespective of level of service charge.

 

It also seeks approval to apply a more flexible approach in how the Council manages the Statement of Priorities Definitive map caseload.

 

In preparation of the new documentation it should be noted that the statements have been developed in collaboration with our legal and insurance teams in addition to consultation and lengthy discussion at the Cabinet Advisory Group for Environment and Transport in November 2018.

 

The Cabinet Member for Environment is RECOMMENDED to agree:

 

(a)      the revised Highways Policy Statements at Annex 1 – 10 to the report CMDE8;

 

(b)      the revised Statement of Priorities at Annex 11 to the report CMDE8.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minutes:

The Cabinet Member for Environment considered (CMDE8) a number of policy statements produced to meet the requirements of the Highways Code of Practice (October 2018) following the papers (Review of Highways policies) presented to cabinet in November 2017 which had outlined the development of a new highways management framework. It had been agreed that sign off of updated policies and procedures would be via reports to the Cabinet Member Delegated decisions meetings or by the relevant Director dependent on the level of service charge but as this was the first round of policy updates it was agreed that these would be taken to the Cabinet Member for Environment Delegated Decisions meeting irrespective of level of service charge.

 

The report also sought approval to apply a more flexible approach in how the Council managed the Statement of Priorities Definitive map caseload.

 

The new documentation had been developed in collaboration with legal and insurance teams in addition to consultation and lengthy discussion at the Cabinet Advisory Group for Environment and Transport in November 2018.

 

Officers presented each Annex and responded to questions from the Cabinet Member as appropriate.

 

Annex 1 – the county council would work closely with road safety teams and police etc with regard to future use of coloured surfacing.

 

Annex 2 – a parish council request for no street lighting would be considered with the safety of highway users in mind.

 

Annex 3 – there were different investigatory levels all machine based and all in line with national guidelines.

 

Annex 4 – the authority would continue to work closely with parish councils.

 

Annex 5 – the service aims were a proactive approach to protect and maintain highway assets.  There were set programmes for maintenance etc but where an incident was considered unsafe for road users but was not the responsibility of the authority work could be carried out and charged to the relevant landowner.

 

Annex 6 – lines and studs would be replaced on a need/safety basis using DfT guidance and consultation with key stakeholders including road safety teams and police.

 

Annex 7 – enforcement of speed limits remained the responsibility of the police and would continue to be imposed after the necessary consultation to promote safety etc.

 

Annex 8 – opportunity to reduce street clutter and redirect resources to provide facilities where need was greatest.  Biannual checks of vehicle barriers and quadrennial checks for pedestrian barriers would be carried out.

 

Annex 9 – a lot of traffic mirrors these were placed on private land so had not formed part of this inspection and were not maintained by the authority. However, if glare was found to be a problem then that issue would be investigated. 

 

Annex 10 – no specific issue raised.

 

Annex 11 – progress welcomed and Cabinet Member aware of the need for a different and more consistent approach.

 

Having regard to the information set out in the report before her and the representations made to her at the meeting the Cabinet Member for Environment confirmed her  ...  view the full minutes text for item 69/18

70/18

Oxfordshire Minerals & Waste Annual Monitoring Report 2018 pdf icon PDF 178 KB

Forward Plan Ref: 2018/099

Contact: Peter Day. Minerals and Waste Policy Team Leader Tel: (01865) 815544

 

Report by Director for Planning & Place (CMDE9).

 

The County Council is required to prepare and publish minerals and waste local plan monitoring reports. This procedural and information requirement has been met by the production each year of a Minerals and Waste Annual Monitoring Report. The Annual Monitoring Report must report on implementation of the Minerals and Waste Development Scheme (the programme for preparation of the Minerals and Waste Local Plan) and on the extent to which local plan policies are being achieved. A draft Oxfordshire Minerals and Waste Annual Monitoring Report 2017 (Calendar Year) has been prepared, covering the year 1 January to 31 December 2017.

 

The draft Annual Monitoring Report 2017 reports on how work on preparation of the revised Minerals and Waste Local Plan: Core Strategy was progressed in relation to the programme in the Council's Minerals and Waste Development Scheme, February 2016. It also reports on: production of aggregate minerals; permissions granted for mineral working and landbanks of permitted reserves; production of secondary and recycled aggregates; amounts of waste produced and methods of management; permissions granted for waste management facilities and capacity of facilities. It cross refers to the Council's Local Aggregate Assessment and Waste Needs Assessment, which contain more detailed information and will sit alongside and complement the Annual Monitoring Report. In addition, it reports on work undertaken by the Council to meet the Duty to Cooperate.

 

The Cabinet Member for Environment is RECOMMENDED:

 

(a)      to approve the Oxfordshire Minerals and Waste Annual Monitoring Report 2017 (Calendar Year) in the Annex to this report;

 

(b)      to authorise the Director for Planning & Place to carry out any necessary final editing of the Minerals and Waste Annual Monitoring Report 2017 (Calendar Year) for publication on the County Council website.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Cabinet Member for Environment considered (CMDE9) the draft Oxfordshire Minerals and Waste Annual Monitoring Report 2017 (Calendar Year) which covered the period 1 January to 31 December 2017. The production of reports being an annual requirement.

 

Having regard to the information set out in the report the Cabinet Member for Environment confirmed her decision as follows:

 

(a)      to approve the Oxfordshire Minerals and Waste Annual Monitoring Report 2017 (Calendar Year) in the Annex to this report;

 

(b)      to authorise the Director for Planning & Place to carry out any necessary final editing of the Minerals and Waste Annual Monitoring Report 2017 (Calendar Year) for publication on the County Council website.

 

 

 

Signed………………………………..

Cabinet Member for Environment

 

Date of signing………………………